Recipe for June 9, 2013
This recipe is a delicious vegan dish, however it's easy to substitute your preferred milk, cheese, or pasta varieties! Consider adding other market ingredients, too such as spinach, arugula, or tomatoes.
- 6 ounces asparagus, trimmed
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 chopped scallions
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1/4 c all-purpose flour
- 3 1/2 c unsweetened soy milk
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 3/4 c coarsely chopped walnuts, plus 1 tablespoon finely chopped
- 6 vegan dried lasagna noodles
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350
- Bring a large saucepan of salted water to a boil. Add the asparagus and boil for 6 - 10 minutes, until tender; do not overcook. Drain and refresh with cold water.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Sautè the scallions and garlic for 3 minutes, then stir in the flour and cook for an additional minute. gradually ad the soy milk, whisking continuously and keeping the mixture just on a boil. When all the soy milk has been added, boil for an additional minute or two until the mixture has thickened. Remove from the heat, stir in the soy sauce, and season with salt and pepper.
- Arrange half of the asparagus in the bottom of a 9 1/2 x 7 inch baking dish. Sprinkle half of the chopped walnuts on top, then pour one-third of the milk sauce over them. Cover with three lasagna noodles, then repeat with the remaining asparagus, chopped walnuts, and another third of the remaining sauce. Cover with the three remaining lasagna noodles. Finally pour over the remaining sauce and springkel with the finely chopped walnuts. Season with pepper.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 25 minutes, or until the lasagna noodles are cooked and the top of the dish begins to brown. Let cool for 5 minutes, then serve.